Self-drive solo woman traveller to Himachal!

yayawar
SMT Team
Reactions:

Re: Self-drive solo woman traveller to Himachal!

Post by yayawar » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:07 pm

Hi Ankita,

Here's the offbeat itinerary that I've created for you. Your trip will start by venturing into Uttarakhand and exiting through Himachal Pradesh - best of both worlds!

Day 1: Delhi - Roorkee/Rishikesh : Pit stop
Day 2: Roorkee/Rishikesh - New Tehri : Tehri Dam (Highest in India), Water sports, natural beauty
Day 3: New Tehri - Uttarkashi : Pit stop.. many small temples. Natural beauty.
Day 4: Uttarkashi - Harshil : Ganganani sulphur hot springs en-route, Harshil is a quaint little village surrounded by mountains, famous for Rajma and shooting of Ram Teri Ganga Maili movie)
Day 5: Harshil - Gangotri - Harshil : Natural beauty, Bhagirathi river, Gangotri temple, Markandey Temple at Dharali, Mukhba temple (short trek to Winter abode of Reigning Deity of Gangotri Temple, trek starts from Dharali by crossing Bhagirathi)
Day 6: Harshil - Dhanaulti : Surkanda Devi (Short trek of about 2 kms from kaddukhal), Scenic beauty, Adventure activities
Day 7: Dhanaulti - Chakarata : Mahasu Devta Temple, Shopping for army supplies in Sadar Bazar
Day 8: Chakarata : Tiger Falls
Day 9: Chakarata - Rohru : Koti Kanasar - beautiful meadow en-route, Hatkoti Temple en-route (just after you cross the bridge after Tiuni), Pabbar river.
Day 10: Rohru - Chanshal - Rohru : Beautiful scenic route.. not so good roads.. loads of snow.
Day 11: Rohru - Kharapatthar : Giriganga Temple, Kharapatthar temple
Day 12: Kharapatthar - Theog/Fagu : Old Gurkha Fort and Bhimkali temple. Scenic
Day 13: Theog/Fagu - Chail : Chail Palace, Chail Sanctuary
Day 14: Chail-Shimla-Chail : Do I need to say anything?
Day 15: Chail - Chandigarh : Pit-stop
Day 16: Chandigarh to Delhi

yayawar
SMT Team
Reactions:

Post by yayawar » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:52 pm

Sorry it took some time for me to get back. Actually I wanted to include some places in your itinerary, but found out they'd be snowed out - like Prashar Lake and Jalori Jot. They'd have helped in creating a circuit so that you don't take a particular road twice.

Anyway, here's an itinerary which is relaxed and covers kind of places that you'd want to see. Hope you like it:

Day 1: Chandigarh - Bir via Mandi : 8 hrs drive
Day 2: Bir : Paragliding, Scenic beauty, Billing
Day 3: Bir : Dharamshala is 2.5 hour away. Can be attempted after enquiring from locals about snow conditions.
Day 4: Bir : Barot is 2 hrs drive.
Day 5: Bir to Rewalsar : 3 - 3.5 hrs drive
Day 6: Rewalsar : Monastry, temple and Gurudwara.
Day 7: Rewalsar : Trek/Drive to Temple caves. Naina Devi Temple
Day 8: Rewalsar - Ghiyaghi : 3.5 hrs drive
Day 9: Ghiyaghi : Trek to Shringa Rishi Temple. Sit by the river stream.
Day 10: Ghiyaghi : Jalori Jot is half an hour away. Can be attempted if snow conditions are favourable. Else, get a local taxi. Trek to Serolsar lake from Jalori.
Day 11: Ghiyaghi : Tirthan is an hour's drive (Sai Ropa, Nagini, Gushaini). Indulge in angling (get license for the day at Sai Ropa Forest Rest House) or just sit by the river. Trek to the waterfalls in GHNP (ask any homestay for a guide, if required.. or just ask for directions from any local).
Day 12: Ghiyaghi - Kasol
Day 13: Kasol : Sit by the river, sample some Israelite cuisine. Trek to Kheerganga (ask for snow conditions from locals).
Day 14: Kasol - Manikaran - Kasol : Gurudwara. Local small treks.
Day 15: Kasol to Chandigarh: 8 hrs drive

yayawar
SMT Team
Reactions:

Post by yayawar » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:16 pm

Hey @ankita.sodi. ,

Here's a picture of Jalori Jot taken today! :)
FB_IMG_1515602515918.jpg
Jalori Jot on 10th Jan 2018
PC: Mukesh Saini at FB

royalenfielder
SMT Team
Reactions:

Post by royalenfielder » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:42 pm

Looks great! Only @ankita won't be witnessing snow on her route!

Btw, the plan you made for her is so epic, I could almost leave everything and go for it!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

yayawar
SMT Team
Reactions:

Post by yayawar » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:31 pm

This is how your drive plan would look (except for the optional de-tours that you may take depending on snow conditions):

Chandigarh - Himachal and Back

ankita.sodi.
Reactions:

Post by ankita.sodi. » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:49 pm

Hey guys!
Now that I am back after an epic trip, thanks to you! I thought I'd write a bit here about how awesome you guys are 😁

I can't thank u guys enough for all your invaluable help. The knowledge u shared is indispensable. I can understand why u do what u do 😁
Being a solo female traveller, who wants to self drive alone, I never got an iota of shock or surprise from any of you. Women drivers have such a bad reputation, and I have improved that past few weeks I believe! πŸ˜‚ the looks I got ranged from shock to disbelief to admiration. And I thank you for the encouragement and support to make sure I got where I wanted to safe and sound! πŸ™πŸ‘πŸ˜

The maps helped immensely. Thank you for recommending an alternate application to Google which worked offline. Next time I will put the data off while driving, so that the pre saved routes are not overridden by updating to the shortest possible route (which we all know may not be the most ideal one)

The real time support that you extend is unbelievable. Always just a call or message away. Everything from your weather updates, to what to eat where, what to see, what to pack, immensely enriched my experience.

I'm going to try and attach some photos here.

Already planning my next self drive trip!!
If anyone asks for directions, I'll be saying #aageyseright!! πŸ˜πŸ˜‚πŸ˜

yayawar
SMT Team
Reactions:

Post by yayawar » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:09 am

Glad that we could be of help @ankita.sodi.. It's also a function of your own confidence and trust that you had upon us! :)

We know that majority of people are sitting on fences and do not take road trips for the fear of unknown and uncertainties. That's exactly what ScoutMyTrip is aiming - to provide all required information and take the uncertainties out so that more and more people hit the road and feel the joy of being in control of their travel.

I'm sure many people will be inspired by your travel tale and prepare to undertake a road trip.

Well done!

royalenfielder
SMT Team
Reactions:

Post by royalenfielder » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:14 pm

Thanks so much for the glowing testimonial for us! While we're the road trip planners we're not the drivers! That was all you!

All this would have come crashing down had you not driven safely and struck to the rules.

So you need to pat yourself on your back too! Am also super excited that you're going to be part of the event shifting gears for women drivers!

PS: can't wait to see pics from your himachal drive! Please upload them soon

royalenfielder
SMT Team
Reactions:

Post by royalenfielder » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:17 pm

There you go!
IMG-20180302-WA0011.jpg

ruchika.tuli1
Reactions:

Post by ruchika.tuli1 » Thu May 31, 2018 11:34 am

Hi @ankita.sodi.

I saw a post by scoutmytrip on their instagram account and your spiti circuit. Is that you? If yes, kudos to your spirit!

Ruchika