Road trip to Sikkim from Mumbai

vishnu17
SMT Team
Reactions:

Road trip to Sikkim from Mumbai

Post by vishnu17 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:35 am

Hello guys, me and some of my friends are planning to do a road trip all the way to Sikkim from Mumbai, this would be by far our longest road trip and none of us have much prior experience in to long distance road trips like this one and that is also what makes this more exciting for us...anyway would love to have some inputs on this road trip if any of you guys have done this before, am sure I will find someone here what would be the best time to visit Sikkim, places that we should not miss here and other things we should be aware of in general for long trips like this one

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

dpakananth
SMT Team
Reactions:

Re: Road trip to Sikkim from Mumbai

Post by dpakananth » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:50 am

vishnu17 wrote:Hello guys, me and some of my friends are planning to do a road trip all the way to Sikkim from Mumbai, this would be by far our longest road trip and none of us have much prior experience in to long distance road trips like this one and that is also what makes this more exciting for us...anyway would love to have some inputs on this road trip if any of you guys have done this before, am sure I will find someone here Image what would be the best time to visit Sikkim, places that we should not miss here and other things we should be aware of in general for long trips like this one

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
@yayawar will you look at this !

www.ScoutMyTrip.com . Sent from my Samsung note8 using Tapatalk

yayawar
SMT Team
Reactions:

Post by yayawar » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:31 pm

I haven't hit the road from Mumbai as yet. However, my niece has been to Sikkim last week. Let me source the pics and I'll update.

vishnu17
SMT Team
Reactions:

Post by vishnu17 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:47 pm

yayawar wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:31 pm
I haven't hit the road from Mumbai as yet. However, my niece has been to Sikkim last week. Let me source the pics and I'll update.
Thanks @yayawar, looking forward to that

aparajita1
SMT Team
Reactions:

Post by aparajita1 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:47 pm

I sent my parents on a Darjeeling-Peling-Gangtok trip a few years back. They did all the touristy stuff in Gangtok actually, like visiting the many peaceful monasteries and shopping on MG Road. Ate lots of Thukpa, Thenthuk, Momos and Tingmo, which is like a local pav. :)

What they particularly loved was the ropeway ride and the beautiful view you get, visit to the Indo-China border at Nathula Pass (my mom was quite excited about having almost gone to China), visiting the Tibetology institute and looking at the yaks near Tsongmo Lake. Apparently you can ride the yaks too, but they didn't want to.

My past research had also thrown up paragliding possibilities as well as river rafting in the Teesta river. Please do both and come back with lots of pictures. :)

Road Trips are truly hassle free when you go #AageSeRight :) :)
Curated Road Trips | DIY Road Trips | Travel Blog | Community | Sign Up

vishnu17
SMT Team
Reactions:

Post by vishnu17 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:56 pm

aparajita1 wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:47 pm
I sent my parents on a Darjeeling-Peling-Gangtok trip a few years back. They did all the touristy stuff in Gangtok actually, like visiting the many peaceful monasteries and shopping on MG Road. Ate lots of Thukpa, Thenthuk, Momos and Tingmo, which is like a local pav. :)

What they particularly loved was the ropeway ride and the beautiful view you get, visit to the Indo-China border at Nathula Pass (my mom was quite excited about having almost gone to China), visiting the Tibetology institute and looking at the yaks near Tsongmo Lake. Apparently you can ride the yaks too, but they didn't want to.

My past research had also thrown up paragliding possibilities as well as river rafting in the Teesta river. Please do both and come back with lots of pictures. :)
Wow! thanks for sharing the details @aparajita1 that really helps, just checked out Tsongmo lake online looks beautiful, will add it to my itinerary. Yak ride sounds good too by the way. I am also hearing a lot about Gurudongmar Lake and saw some extremely beautiful pictures like the one below, planning to visit there as well

arjun_683505
SMT Team
Reactions:

Post by arjun_683505 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:19 pm

vishnu17 wrote:
aparajita1 wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:47 pm

Wow! thanks for sharing the details [mention]aparajita1[/mention] that really helps, just checked out Tsongmo lake online looks beautiful, will add it to my itinerary. Yak ride sounds good too by the way. I am also hearing a lot about Gurudongmar Lake and saw some extremely beautiful pictures like the one below, planning to visit there as well

Nice. Have been to Sikkim a long long time ago. But a road trip from Mumbai sounds interesting. @vishnu17 when are you planning the trip? I'd also like to join if you don't mind :) Can you please share the itinerary that you've made?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

getravelled
Scout
Reactions:

Post by getravelled » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:44 pm

Hello,
I am sure you will enjoy your ride. Long road trips are really exciting and addictive. Depending on your driving skills, you can take the following route to explore most of Sikkim possible.
Siliguri-Kalimpong-Lingtham-Gnathang-Old Baba Mandir-Tsomgo Lake-Gangtok-Lachen-Thangu-Chopta Valley-Gurudongmar-Tso Lahmo (Luck provided)-Lachung-Shingba Sanctuary-Yumthang-Yumisamgdong-Mangan-Pelling-Yuksom-Siliguri.
But for this trip a lot of planning and logistics need to be worked out. Please share your dates so that we can help you draw out your plan.

vishnu17
SMT Team
Reactions:

Post by vishnu17 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:38 pm

arjun_683505 wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:19 pm
Nice. Have been to Sikkim a long long time ago. But a road trip from Mumbai sounds interesting. @vishnu17 when are you planning the trip? I'd also like to join if you don't mind :) Can you please share the itinerary that you've made?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
You are always welcome to join @arjun, it'd be really great to have you on the trip with us, I was planning for Feb or March maybe, @yayawar would love your inputs on when might be the best time to visit here ?
I will post the itinerary here soon or perhaps the link itself to the trip which I will plan using our planning tool, that'd be much more easy to follow :)

vishnu17
SMT Team
Reactions:

Post by vishnu17 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:42 pm

getravelled wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:44 pm
Hello,
I am sure you will enjoy your ride. Long road trips are really exciting and addictive. Depending on your driving skills, you can take the following route to explore most of Sikkim possible.
Siliguri-Kalimpong-Lingtham-Gnathang-Old Baba Mandir-Tsomgo Lake-Gangtok-Lachen-Thangu-Chopta Valley-Gurudongmar-Tso Lahmo (Luck provided)-Lachung-Shingba Sanctuary-Yumthang-Yumisamgdong-Mangan-Pelling-Yuksom-Siliguri.
But for this trip a lot of planning and logistics need to be worked out. Please share your dates so that we can help you draw out your plan.
Thanks @getravelled :) and I agree we need to do a lot of planning for this, date is not fixed as yet but like I was saying in my previous post I am planning maybe Feb or March