Right wheel RIM for Right road trip

Forum for discussing Policy, Regulations, News and Opinions which affects the way we road trip (for good or for the bad)
pro_roadtrip
Scout
Reactions:

Right wheel RIM for Right road trip

Post by pro_roadtrip » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:36 pm

HEy all ROAD TRIPPERS
This information is totally out of my driving experience and discussions with tyre experts so i avoid tyre breakdowns in my future road trips ... As we all know that for every terrain there are different types of tyres.. Semi soft tyre for on road and bit off road driving.. All Terrain tyre for complete off road .. snow tyres ... dessert tyre .. and so on ...
But we rarely think about the wheel RIMS.... if u think that an alloy wheel is the best set of Wheel RIMS.. then think again ...( ill keep it Short)

Alloy wheels are good for drives on TAR or a concrete flat surface with less or no POT holes .. since alloy wheels are more tougher and heavier than the Standard wheel RIM ... it will not break when u hit a pot hole at 80-100 km/hr.. but has more potential to tear or Bulge the tyre at the edges (Mostly the Inner side of the tyre ) which can be really dangerous (A bulge of the tyre is a time bomb ticking to explode).. Steel wheel RIMS has a tendency to bend on impacting.. so in case of steel wheel when the car hits a pot hole at high speeds the wheels bends a bit on the edges and takes the impact , thus avoiding tyre burst or bulges which are really dangerous and, if u notice that the edges of the wheel RIM is bend .. just go to a tyre repair shop ask him to remove the tyres off the RIM and hammer it back to shape.. Your RIMS are back in good shape..
So if you are a FAN of alloy wheel to use it in the city or intercity or where u know that the roads are good .. and if your are driving cross country then try regular Wheel RIM .. bit less stylish but more durable... :ugeek: :ugeek:

yayawar
SMT Team
Reactions:

Re: Right wheel RIM for Right road trip

Post by yayawar » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:04 am

Thanks for bringing this up @pro_roadtrip

In case of both motorbikes and cars, in my opinion, alloys are useless (and actually dangerous) when it comes to bad roads or off-roading. Alloys may be something to show-off, but other than city, they are pretty useless.

hemal_409565
Scout
Reactions:

Post by hemal_409565 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:21 am

Today, almost all cars are sold with Alloy Rims and it has become the norm. If you do not get the car with alloy wheels, then it is quick for people to assume that you went for the lower variant - and it becomes a usual deterrent. The heard mentality is something to easy to get on and difficult to ignore.

Having said that, what are the best rims for a car? I do not know. For the bikes, it has to be the one with spokes and aluminum rims.

With love,
Hemal

Blogs at https://indianomics.co.in and uploads YouTube video at https://www.youtube.com/indianomics.

pro_roadtrip
Scout
Reactions:

Post by pro_roadtrip » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:27 pm

@hemal_409565
All the alloy that are fitted by the manufacturer are usually good and of high quality. But these are good to be driven on city roads or good roads .. I am unaware of alloy wheels that's good for off road driving also .. so if u love your alloy wheel and wanna flaunt it be sure that u drive slow when u are driving off road or on bad roads. As I have experienced cuts and bulge on tyre side wall while driving bit hard on bad roads ..

pro_roadtrip
Scout
Reactions:

Post by pro_roadtrip » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:32 pm

Company fitted alloy wheel is not a norm but an expensive and compulsive option in top end model of any vehicle... Choose wisely.. or buy an extra set of rim and keep it in your store room it's not that expensive to buy .. and swap it when u are going on a long drive.. hardly takes 30 minutes to get it done at any puncture wala shop

hemal_409565
Scout
Reactions:

Post by hemal_409565 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:34 pm

@pro_roadtrip

That is a good suggestion indeed. Keep an extra set of rims!

With love,
Hemal

Blogs at https://indianomics.co.in and uploads YouTube video at https://www.youtube.com/indianomics.