How would you plan a Leh/Ladakh bike trip in a cost efficient manner?What are all the details?

roadmatix
SMT Team
Reactions:

How would you plan a Leh/Ladakh bike trip in a cost efficient manner?What are all the details?

Post by roadmatix » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:43 am

Extra extra! Found this online! woof!

yayawar
SMT Team
Reactions:

Re: How would you plan a Leh/Ladakh bike trip in a cost efficient manner?What are all the details?

Post by yayawar » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:53 am

Couple of pointers that I can give...
  • Carry a tent, sleeping bag and sleeping mat - saves cost on accommodation at places where you can pitch your tent (after seeking permission from respective owners of the property
  • Stay mostly with locals at homestays.
  • Form a group - sharing costs of accommodation and other support (mechanic etc) brings down your overall cost
  • Go on a fuel efficient bike ;) We all are RE Fanboys here, but compared to that, a Pulsar would give you more mileage. Yes, the trade-off would be the power for steep ascents, but then we all know that people have made it even on scooters.
  • Get a pillion - yes, it would be painful for the pillion rider to stay put for long hours on a bumpy ride, but eventually that saves cost by splitting the fuel expenses. Isn't it?
Cheers! :)

royalenfielder
SMT Team
Reactions:

Re: How would you plan a Leh/Ladakh bike trip in a cost efficient manner?What are all the details?

Post by royalenfielder » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:54 am

I’ll keep the answer very to the point. When going to Ladakh the main costs you will incur are:

1. Stay and food
2. Local sight seeing
3. Reaching Ladakh.

So if you want to optimize these costs, lets see what all you can do:

1. Reaching Ladakh: Ride from your home city all the way to Ladakh and back or ship it to Chandigarh / Delhi / Jammu from where you can start riding. Ship it by train so its cheaper, and you can reach the shipping location by train.

2. Local Sight seeing : If you have your own bike, then all you need to spend on is fuel and maintenance of the bike. Ride carefully and you will see the drastic reduction in the bike expense.

3. Stay and Food: If you are in a group, you can bunk more people per room. That will reduce your cost overall. The other big secret about stay in Ladakh is this and please don’t let any travel agent tell you book in advance. YOU WILL **ALWAYS **GET THE BEST RATES AT HOTELS WHEN YOU REACH THE HOTEL AND THEN NEGOTIATE. The owners are desperate to finish their inventory soon and you will get a bargain.

The last bike trip I had done to Ladakh cost be around 30K for 14 days. Let me give you the math.

1. Bike shipping to Chandigarh = Rs. 4500
2. Train journey to Chandigarh = Rs. 2500
3. Stay cost per day = Rs. 300
4. Food Cost per day = Rs. 500
5. Fuel Cost = Rs. 12,000
6. Bike repairs = Rs. 1,000

My return was fully on bike. Leh to Mumbai in 6 days which is still one of my most memorable trips! Do you need more help with planning your bike trip to Ladkah.