Itinery for Ladakh..

hirak.mazumder
Reactions:

Itinery for Ladakh..

Post by hirak.mazumder » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:15 pm

Hi All,

Me and my friends are planning for ladakh in april 2018. We would be riding from kolkata. But I need help on planning from Delhi to Delhi.. Apart from the usual places of attraction in ladakh, we will be going to Umlingla as well. Kindly help me in planning out a proper itinery from delhi to delhi which is not exhaustive, because we will be riding from kolkata to Delhi and back before and after the trip.

Regards,
Hirak Mazumder

yayawar
SMT Team
Reactions:

Re: Itinery for Ladakh..

Post by yayawar » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:25 pm

Hi @hirak.mazumder ,

You'd not be able to do a road trip to Laddakh ex Delhi in April. Both the routes will be still closed due to loads of snow over high passes (Zoji La on Srinagar-Leh route and Rohtang jot & Baralacha La on Manali-Leh route). The earliest you can do a road trip ex Delhi would be Mid-May, subject to snow-clearance.

Alternatively, you can fly-in and out of Leh and hire a taxi there for inward movements. Most of the Laddakh roads remain open, though not sure about Umling La since this has been opened this year only.

royalenfielder
SMT Team
Reactions:

Post by royalenfielder » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:40 am

Hi Hirak,

Agree with @yayawar . The passes won't open in April, so mid May would be the best bet. A good time to apply for leaves would be around March by when some clarity starts to trickle in.

Since you are riding all the way from Kolkata, here are some reccos for your Ladakh trip:

1. Do Tso Moriri instead of Pangong Tso (Less commercial, more beautiful, more peaceful. Feels like a biker home)
2. Do the Manali - Leh route instead of the Srinagar - Leh route. It's what makes bikers what they are. Steep inclines, stress on your acclimatization levels too. You can reach Tso Moriri directly from Manali via Debring. You will need to acclimatize in Jispa or Keylong for at least a day if you do this.
3. Never try and stay at tents in Sarchu, also called the "ulti point"
4. Nothing much happening in Nubra. It's become a mini Manali with a desert view on the side. It's pretty sad how the camels are also treated to pander to the tourists. But the route is scenic and you might want to just do the ride.
Here is an itinerary for you to do:

Delhi - Chandigarh - Manali - Jispa/Keylong - Tso Moriri - Leh - Leh - Nubra - Leh - Sonmarg - Srinagar - Jammu - Delhi

For including Umling La into the plan: road-conditions-f9/about-umling-la-umli ... s-t47.html

earthian
Tourist Level 2
Reactions:

Post by earthian » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:33 pm

royalenfielder wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:40 am
2. Do the Manali - Leh route instead of the Srinagar - Leh route. It's what makes bikers what they are. Steep inclines, stress on your acclimatization levels too.
i have a different view. It is always boring coming back the same way. I would travel from Srinagar and come back via Manali. This gives me an opportunity to visit Kargil- a must do for all of us. Yes, it is safer since your body acclimatises during the Srinagar-Leh route and hence the chances of enjoying your trip increases drastically. AMS can be a downer. Why don't you explore shipping your bike via train to Jammu along with you and then you can ride it to Leh, Manali, Delhi and if you feel like it, Calcutta? Lots of bikers do that.

Here is a picture from Kargil:
edit: Have to wait for it.
edit 2:Thanks, @yayawar for your help and diligence. Here is the photo now:
DSC_0227.jpg
How true.
DSC_0227.jpg (99.78 KiB) Viewed 3468 times

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Its the journey, and not the destination, that counts.......