Need help planning Ladakh on Bullet

vivek.sahoo
Reactions:

Need help planning Ladakh on Bullet

Post by vivek.sahoo » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:19 pm

I was told to come here by some friends who follow scoutmytrip on instagram. I recently got a bullet (classic 500) and i want to plan for ladakh for next year. There will be a few more along with me but we are all new to road trips.

I plan to start exploring near and around mumbai for practice and then by june next year i can be confident of doing ladakh. please suggest some places i can do long distance from mumbai. Please also advice on planning for ladakh.

royalenfielder
SMT Team
Reactions:

Re: Need help planning Ladakh on Bullet

Post by royalenfielder » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:20 pm

Hey Vivek,

If you are doing Ladakh next year, I would really suggest you get some practice riding in the ghats. It will really help, and Ladakh is just one mountain after another. So here are some ghats you can do:

1. Kumbarli Ghat (connects Chiplun to Karad)
2. Bhor Ghat or Varandha Ghat (Connects Mahad to Bhor Village off NH4)
3. Head to Mahabaleshwar via NH17 (please be careful on this road)
4. Go to Toranmal
5. Mt Abu
6. Saputara
7. Gaganbawda
8. Tamhini Ghat

Not adding Lonavala to this list purposely ;) You'll know why, very soon!

Tagging @yayawar for the Ladakh part.

yayawar
SMT Team
Reactions:

Post by yayawar » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:33 pm

Hi Vivek,

For the Ladakh part, couple of things:

1. Plan to do the entire circuit - enter via Srinagar and exit via Manali - helps in acclimatization
2. Transport your bike through rail/courier at least to Delhi and start your ride from there. Ideally, you should ship your bike till Jammu and start the ride from there - this will give you respite from the scorching heat in the plains. On return, you can transport the bikes from Chandigarh or Delhi as it suits. Yes, starting from Delhi gives you an opportunity to visit Amritsar and Wagha border too. :)
3. Account for at least 15 days ex Delhi, else you will mostly be rushing everywhere and not enjoying the ride.
4. Do invest in a good Ladakh Carrier (yes, that's the name!) ;)

Let me know once you have planned the above and we can work on the itinerary and other details.

sudeepbagaria
Reactions:

Post by sudeepbagaria » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:49 pm

I was in a car but did get a couple of opportunities where rider's bullet had turned off while going uphill. The dilemma of such bikers was they couldn't leave the brake lest their bike rolled back and neither were able to kick start their bike. Took 2 people to hold the bike from rolling back while rider disengaged the gear and started the bike.
Lot's of people rush to help you if you get into such a situation, that's the beauty of the place.