Self-drive solo woman traveller to Himachal!

ankita.sodi.
Reactions:

Self-drive solo woman traveller to Himachal!

Post by ankita.sodi. » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:36 am

Hi guys, :D
I am Ankita from Mumbai.. I am looking at travelling to Himachal end of January for a couple of weeks..
This will be a first of many solo trips, although I have done a few treks before, but this one is different as I am looking at driving myself!! It is both exciting and a bit scary at the same time. And this is where I need help!
Can anyone suggest a simple, relaxed itinerary starting from Delhi/Chandigarh?
I had planned to cover Mandi, Manali, Vashisth, Manikaran, Kasol, Dharamkot, McLeod etc, but am totally open to suggestions.. Some key points -
1. Prefer to drive not more than 5-6 hours in a day.
2. Would like to stay at off beat places with great views.
3. Can spend 3-4 days in one place and explore neighbouring areas.. That will also be a break from driving extensively every day.
4. Like self-catering kind of accommodations, where I can cook my meals and make my own chai. :D
5. I am not very much into small talk :? and like to keep to myself, so home stays don't work too well with me, but I am open to it nonetheless.
6. Would love to visit monasteries, meditation centers or any places of spiritual significance.
7. I can comfortably drive Cheverolet Beat, Pajero sport and Mahindra xuv. Would love your views on the best type of car for the mountains.

Phew! I guess that covers most of it!
Really looking forward to hearing some tips from fellow members.. :)

Thanks,
Ankita

yayawar
SMT Team
Reactions:

Re: Self-drive solo woman traveller to Himachal!

Post by yayawar » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:44 am

@saddlebag_packer @amit.verma @rajiv_986185 @saddle.stories @pro_roadtrip : Can you help Ankita with a suitable itinerary for Himachal?

@vikrant_1261044 : Can you please suggest an itinerary for Uttarakhand too?

@ankita.sodi. Pajero Sport I'm not sure if you'll get self-drive option. A fortuner 4x4 will be the best bet considering the snow situations on the mountains.

EDIT: Or may be Scorpio/XUV 4x4.

royalenfielder
SMT Team
Reactions:

Post by royalenfielder » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:23 pm

Hi @ankita.sodi.

@yayawar and we shall work on a good plan for you keeping these points in mind! One thing though, we'll have to check on the self catering options though and they would depend on the owner of the place mostly. We know quite a few personally, and would be putting in a word for them to ensure you can make your chai in the mornings!

ankita.sodi.
Reactions:

Post by ankita.sodi. » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:02 pm

@yayawar @royalenfielder
Thank you! Looking forward to hearing from you.

ankita.sodi.
Reactions:

Post by ankita.sodi. » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:04 pm

@yayawar I thought a hatchback or a sedan would have better control and manoeuvrability in the mountains? Do u expect a lot of snow end of January? Thanks for your inputs! :)

yayawar
SMT Team
Reactions:

Post by yayawar » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:13 pm

Hatch for sure, but sedan! :shock:

A sedan would be prone to underbelly hits. Of course I know people who have done Ladakh and Spiti in all sort of vehicles, but you don't want to pay for damages to the car rental. Right? :lol: A high ground clearance vehicle helps.

XUVs fall victim to the slightest of projections from the road and the plastic sump guard is guaranteed to come off in most of Himalayan trips.

Snow depends on where you are going and of course the weather Gods. Would you like the snow challenge? I'll include in the itinerary then.

traveldiaries
Scout
Reactions:

Post by traveldiaries » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:43 pm

ankita.sodi. wrote:Hi guys, :D
I am Ankita from Mumbai.. I am looking at travelling to Himachal end of January for a couple of weeks..
This will be a first of many solo trips, although I have done a few treks before, but this one is different as I am looking at driving myself!! It is both exciting and a bit scary at the same time. And this is where I need help!
Can anyone suggest a simple, relaxed itinerary starting from Delhi/Chandigarh?
I had planned to cover Mandi, Manali, Vashisth, Manikaran, Kasol, Dharamkot, McLeod etc, but am totally open to suggestions.. Some key points -
1. Prefer to drive not more than 5-6 hours in a day.
2. Would like to stay at off beat places with great views.
3. Can spend 3-4 days in one place and explore neighbouring areas.. That will also be a break from driving extensively every day.
4. Like self-catering kind of accommodations, where I can cook my meals and make my own chai. :D
5. I am not very much into small talk :? and like to keep to myself, so home stays don't work too well with me, but I am open to it nonetheless.
6. Would love to visit monasteries, meditation centers or any places of spiritual significance.
7. I can comfortably drive Cheverolet Beat, Pajero sport and Mahindra xuv. Would love your views on the best type of car for the mountains.

Phew! I guess that covers most of it!
Really looking forward to hearing some tips from fellow members.. :)

Thanks,
Ankita

I will vote for XUV500 as I did Spiti in Sep'17 (while there was no snow) but comfort and handling the vehicle was good, didn't face a glitch taking into consideration that the vehicle I took has already run 1.2L kms ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers,
Srikanth going #AageSeRight

https://traveldiaries.vacations
Follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/traveldairieshy

ankita.sodi.
Reactions:

Post by ankita.sodi. » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:57 am

@yayawar
@Srikanth
Thanks for the inputs. Ya xuv sounds good, I guess for me a hatchback would be perfect, as it's just me. And easier to manage thru the narrow winding roads.
I am not looking for a snow challenge as such.. :D but happy to hear your suggestions!
Thanks!

yayawar
SMT Team
Reactions:

Post by yayawar » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:57 pm

ok, I'm working on something really offbeat for you. :)

ankita.sodi.
Reactions:

Post by ankita.sodi. » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:00 pm

Yayy! Looking forward! Thank you. :D