White Spiti - Spiti in winter !

amit.verma
Scout
Reactions:

White Spiti - Spiti in winter !

Post by amit.verma » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:39 pm

I have created this thread to take inputs from all of you regarding winter Spiti. What are the do's and don'ts we need to follow if we are heading to Spiti this winter. let's discuss and make this thread an active one, where at the end we have all the points covered and a guide which will help everyone who'll be riding to mountains in winters !

yayawar
SMT Team
Reactions:

Re: White Spiti - Spiti in winter !

Post by yayawar » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:47 pm

Couple of things for sure..
  1. Good thermal clothing. Wear in layers.
  2. Good waterproof and thermal gloves. Not the cheap ones please. You'll regret when you'll have no alternatives.
  3. Make sure your vehicle's batteries are new.
  4. Snow chains for tyres (cars/bikes both included).
  5. Very few accommodations are open. Make sure you have contacted them and have their numbers ready.

dpakananth
SMT Team
Reactions:

Post by dpakananth » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:18 pm

amit.verma wrote:I have created this thread to take inputs from all of you regarding winter Spiti. What are the do's and don'ts we need to follow if we are heading to Spiti this winter. let's discuss and make this thread an active one, where at the end we have all the points covered and a guide which will help everyone who'll be riding to mountains in winters !
Some further obvious but often ignored points....
Make sure your fitness levels are ok. You don't need to be a iron man athlete, but the conditions are hostile and you need to be able to survive.
Research. Plan replan and keep backups if every route you plan to take. The beauty of a road trip is to explore the country side but it is always better to know key points that you can always fall back on. Like the petrol stations that are nearest to you. Nearest town or village where you can get boarding or medical assistance etc.
Carry as much offline content as you can. Batteries die out faster in the cold climates, don't be caught unawares, carry a map with you. Even if connectivity is a problem you can rely on your map. Download an offline version of the region on your Google maps . It helps.
Carry food. Being cold is guaranteed. Being cold and hungry is not something you would like. Energy bars or chocolates in abundance are a boon here. If you don't use it for yourself , you can give it to the locals and bring a smile to their face.
Carry a tent and sleeping bag. Tent is still optional but a sleeping bag will help you. Even if you don't camp outdoors wrapping the bag around you is a sure way of keeping yourself warm.
If possible carry a hydration pack. You don't stop and drink enough water on the drives, specially if you are biking. A quick hit of water from a hydration pack will keep you fresh and get you going.
Carry medicine supplies. Get a check up and ask a Dr to prescribe medicines for niggles like vomiting, stomach upset and headaches. Try not to self Medicate. What's applicable on the plains is not the same in the mountains.

Winters in spiti is an experience par none. Enjoy the experience.

www.ScoutMyTrip.com . Sent from my Samsung note8 using Tapatalk

traveldiaries
Scout
Reactions:

Post by traveldiaries » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:15 am

Yes I need to plan a winter roadtrip to Spiti as well...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers,
Srikanth going #AageSeRight

https://traveldiaries.vacations
Follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/traveldairieshy

yayawar
SMT Team
Reactions:

Post by yayawar » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:55 pm

If it is by your dusty, then remember to keep a gunny bags/trampoline to keep the engine covered during the night. Basically you cover the engine with gunny bag/trampoline and keep the engine running for sometime. It helps keeping the engine warm during the night and gives less starting troubles in the mornings.

traveldiaries
Scout
Reactions:

Post by traveldiaries » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:51 pm

Thanks Yayawar

Cheers,

royalenfielder
SMT Team
Reactions:

Post by royalenfielder » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:50 am

Love the discussion on this. We should check what Dr. Amit has to say about this since he has done Spiti. @yayawar Can you tag his account please. Can't find him

yayawar
SMT Team
Reactions:

Post by yayawar » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:05 am

Yes, because he is @saddlebag_packer here :D

saddlebag_packer
Scout
Reactions:

Post by saddlebag_packer » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:11 am

yayawar wrote:Yes, because he is [mention]saddlebag_packer[/mention] here :D
Winter spiti is in my bucket list since long, I have done summer spiti Image but yet to do it in winters. Whatever I have heard about winter is max you can reach is till Kaza and then Key monastery. Your route for going and coming back remains the same.
Limited stay options, water availability is doubtful as pipe lines are also freezed.
Roads are full of black ice so gir gir kar chalna is the way u do it. This is all what I have came to know from people who have done winter spiti.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

traveldiaries
Scout
Reactions:

Post by traveldiaries » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:48 pm

yayawar wrote:If it is by your dusty, then remember to keep a gunny bags/trampoline to keep the engine covered during the night. Basically you cover the engine with gunny bag/trampoline and keep the engine running for sometime. It helps keeping the engine warm during the night and gives less starting troubles in the mornings.
Yup @yayawar

Cheers,