Do's and Dont's for driving during winters and foggy conditions

Find the latest road conditions across India. Any update made here is verified by Scouts and then added to the Road Trip Planning Engine.
royalenfielder
SMT Team
Reactions:

Do's and Dont's for driving during winters and foggy conditions

Post by royalenfielder » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:53 pm

As the winter season advances foggy days may be expected ahead. It is advised that motorists observe certain precautions to avoid accidents and related injuries. Motorists are advised to take following measures to avoid mishaps due to fog:-

DOs :
1. Before you drive -- and during your trip – check weather forecasts.
2. If there is a fog warning, delay your trip until it clears.
3. If you are caught driving in fog, follow these safe-driving tips.
4. Slow down gradually and drive at a speed that suits the conditions.
5. Make sure the full lighting system of your vehicle is turned on.
6. Use your low –beam headlights, High beams reflect off the moisture droplets in the fog, making it harder to see.
7. If you have fog lights on your vehicle, use them, in addition to your low-beams.
8. Be patient, Avoid passing, changing lanes and crossing traffic.
9. Use pavement marking to help guide you. Use the right edge of the road as a guide, rather than the centre line.
10. Increase your following distance. You will need extra distance to brake safely
11. Look and listen for any hazards that may be ahead.
12. Reduce the distractions in your vehicle. For example, turn off your cell phones, music your full attention is required.
13. Watch for any electronically operated warning signs.
14. Keep looking ahead as far as possible.
15. Keep your windows and mirrors clean. Use your defroster and wipers to maximize your vision.
16. If the fog is too dense to continue, pull completely off the road and try to position your vehicle in a safe parking area. Turn on your emergency flashers, in addition to keeping on your low-beam headlights.

DON’Ts :
1. Don’t stop on the travelled portion of the road. You could become the first link in a chain-reaction collision.
2. Don’t speed up suddenly, even if the fog seems to be clearing. You could find yourself suddenly back in fog.
3. Don’t speed up to pass a vehicle moving slowly or to get away from a vehicle that is following too closely.
4. Do not overdrive your headlights.

yayawar
SMT Team
Reactions:

Re: Do's and Dont's for driving during winters and foggy conditions

Post by yayawar » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:15 pm

And please... DON'T put the hazard lights ON while driving. ImageImageImage

I've seen this phenomenon picking up (in NCR, this is a prevalent practice now, to the extent that my old company had issued an advisory to the effect and I had to fight with the communications team to withdraw and issue an apology) everywhere now. This is not correct practice and in fact an invitation to accidents.. Google for "Moth Effect" and you'll know why.

Here are some pics from one such drive while I was going to Mukteshwar from Noida.
Driving in Fog.jpg
Notice that the fog lights are on and I'm using the right median as guide
Driving in Fog.jpg (100.17 KiB) Viewed 3974 times
Halt!.jpg
Stop when there's too much of fog
Halt!.jpg (106.57 KiB) Viewed 3974 times

Posted from my mobile using Tapatalk (https://www.tapatalk.com/forum/2019174)

arjun_683505
SMT Team
Reactions:

Post by arjun_683505 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:10 pm

Will surely keep these things in mind. Not that I'm going to encounter a lot of fog here in Bangalore. But ya a very handy list. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

pro_roadtrip
Scout
Reactions:

Post by pro_roadtrip » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:01 pm

@yayawarvagabond yes dada .. MOTH EFFECT .. ... effects tried drivers a lot ... .. the blinking lights will make a tried driver drive into the lights ...