Bangalore to Munnar

rohit.joshi
Tourist Level 1
Reactions:

Bangalore to Munnar

Post by rohit.joshi » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:15 am

Hello friends,

Please help me in providing good road route from Bangalore to munnar. I am planning to visit Dec 1st week. How much time will be required?

dpakananth
SMT Team
Reactions:

Re: Bangalore to Munnar

Post by dpakananth » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:30 pm

Hi Rohit,

The roads from bangalore to munnar has a very good mix. From bangalore to coimbatore it’s a Highway and you can really make good time. However after coimbatore to munnar I would suggest you take the marayur Road. The scenery and the forest route is beautiful. My only worry is that the entire trip will take you around 11 hours without stoppages. Once you cross coimbatore it’s all forest reserves. There will be fixed entry times. During winters this could be as early as 5 pm. So you need to be reaching that portion before 5. It wouldn’t be safe post dark. My suggestion would be to do an overnight in coimbatore. And the next day do the last 160 odd kms to munnar. It’s worth the wait because the forest Road is excellent. Let us know how you plan this !

rohit.joshi
Tourist Level 1
Reactions:

Post by rohit.joshi » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:57 pm

Hello team,

I was thinking about Bangalore-Salem-Dindigual-Theni-Munnar. What you think on this? I believe till Dindigual it's 4 lane road. Also,I mostly do night journeys. Planning to start from Bangalore at 1 am.

Regards.
Rohit

dpakananth
SMT Team
Reactions:

Post by dpakananth » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:12 pm

Hi rohit,
yes this is a better road,you add 50 odd kms to the udumalpet route, the theni road is better also because it passes through towns and food and toilets are better identified.
On this route, watch out for the poopara section just before the munnar belt, where the traffic becomes a bit much to handle. the roads are narrow and the ghat sections have heavy vehicles creating traffic snarls.
Other wise this is a great road to go on. Since you are leaving late night, you should have no problems reaching munnar by lunch or a bit post that. total travel time should be around 11 hours.

rohit.joshi
Tourist Level 1
Reactions:

Post by rohit.joshi » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:17 pm

Yea. Thanks team.

rohit.joshi
Tourist Level 1
Reactions:

Post by rohit.joshi » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:22 am

Friends,

I am in Munnar for 2 full days, can someone please suggest places to see I mean which are really worth seeing, if any.

Thanks.
Rohit J

royalenfielder
SMT Team
Reactions:

Post by royalenfielder » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:48 am

Hi @rohit.joshi

Here is an itinerary you can follow for the two days you are in Munnar.

Feel free to edit the map: Things to do in Munnar

earthian
Tourist Level 2
Reactions:

Post by earthian » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:05 pm

rohit.joshi wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:57 pm
I was thinking about Bangalore-Salem-Dindigual-Theni-Munnar. What you think on this? Also,I mostly do night journeys. Planning to start from Bangalore at 1 am.
Well, to each, his own. BUT, i can tell you from experience that you would miss some fantastic scenery and sights in the ghats. I did this two years back- drove from Chennai to A'Bad via the top of the ghats from Silent Valley and came down near Belgaum. Would like to do it again.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Its the journey, and not the destination, that counts.......

royalenfielder
SMT Team
Reactions:

Post by royalenfielder » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:54 pm

Hit me up @earthian when you plan to do it again :)