Need help for a Tirupati Road trip

royalenfielder
SMT Team
Reactions:

Post by royalenfielder » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:02 pm

Hi

My family and I want to go to Tirupati. This is the first time for everyone (totally 5 of us). Have two days to spare in all for this and the dates are 24th and 25th Feb 2018.

The plan which seems workable at the moment is to fly in to Chennai and take a self Drive car from the airport. Will mostly take Myles cars since they are also our partners and the cost will be lower than the rest. I am trying to book the tickets etc but I need some clarity on how long the darshan can take using the special darshan ticket available online.

At the moment plan as follows:

Reach Chennai on 24th Feb at 2PM. Drive from Chennai to Tirupati on Mylescars and check in to hotel
Darshan at 12PM Noon and drive back from Tirupati latest by 3PM to catch flight from Chennai at 1030PM

Planning to buy the Special Darshan Ticket available on their website.

traveldiaries
Scout
Reactions:

Post by traveldiaries » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:14 pm

The different Categories of Darshan are as below:
Sarva Darshan: Normal Darshan 3-8 hrs
Divya Darshan: for people who go walking up the hill 3-5 hrs
SPL Darshan 300 ticket 45 mins - 1.5 hrs
Break Darshan (registration prior day with recommendation letter from mLA or MP of AP / Telangana / another state) 500 ticket </= 45 mins

You may also not want to miss:
Papavinashanam
Padmavathi Ammavaru Temple in Tirupati

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by traveldiaries on Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cheers,
Srikanth going #AageSeRight

https://traveldiaries.vacations
Follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/traveldairieshy

royalenfielder
SMT Team
Reactions:

Re: Need help for a Tirupati Road trip

Post by royalenfielder » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:22 pm

traveldiaries wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:14 pm
Categories:
Break Darshan (registration prior day with recommendation letter from mLA or MP of AP / Telangana / another state) 500 ticket </= 45 mins
Thanks @traveldiaries , so the 45min - 1.5hrs is even on a weekend or do you think it will take more time for a weekend?

traveldiaries
Scout
Reactions:

Post by traveldiaries » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:25 pm

royalenfielder wrote:
traveldiaries wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:14 pm
Categories:
Thanks [mention]traveldiaries[/mention] , so the 45min - 1.5hrs is even on a weekend or do you think it will take more time for a weekend?
Not certain though Yayawar, ideally 1.5 hrs has been our experience across years with 1/2 exceptions where it took around 2.5 hrs.
Purely depends on the rush on that day and auspicious date

Cheers,

aparajita1
SMT Team
Reactions:

Post by aparajita1 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:08 am

Hola!

I have been there twice. Both times took the APTDC bus from Bangalore, which usually comes with a Darshan package. My experience for the Sheegra Darshan (Rs 300 special entry tickets) has been 2-3 hours and most people I had asked while planning had similar experiences.. Unless its some immensely auspicious day when I would suggest don't go! The whole place is quite well managed and the there is no jumping queues and such behavior. I would suggest getting done earlier in the day as its gets quite hot later, though Feb should be fine.

As per the APTDC fellows, one must visit the Padmavathi temple at the town below Tirumala before you visit Balaji temple. Apparently the goddess puts in a good word for you with the Lord when you visit with your requests. When we went there at 4:30 AM, it was quite empty and the Rs 25 tickets was easy to procure. The Papavinasham pool is known to wash away all your sins. The bus tour did not include this but my dad has gone there in other trips. I wonder why! Also check out the Akashganga falls if you have the time. Its apparently very pretty, though I wonder if it will have water in Feb.

Modest clothing is recommended when you visit, preferably Indian clothing (No sleeveless, shorts, jeans etc) My brother had to rent a shirt and mundu because he decided to travel in shorts & Linkin Park tshirt. The food options at the temple are strictly South Indian and gets quite crowded. There is nowhere to sit & eat though, once you get out of the temple complex. Also no electronics are allowed inside. Phones, camera, power bank, ipod, nothing. In a way, its great cos you spend quality time with your family in the line and can focus on thinking pious thoughts. :D

All of this is circa 2009 to 2013. So I am not sure if things have changed.

Road Trips are truly hassle free when you go #AageSeRight :) :)
Curated Road Trips | DIY Road Trips | Travel Blog | Community | Sign Up

royalenfielder
SMT Team
Reactions:

Post by royalenfielder » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:17 pm

Thanks a bunch for all the info @aparajita1 !

So we booked our tickets for the darshan with flights to chennai and then a self drive, and mostly a Myles cars from the looks of it. We reach Tirupati at 1PM (Adding one hour to this for the darshan at Padmavathi temple). We check in to the hotel and then stand in the queue for the 5PM darshan by around 3PM.

I guess that should work. I am still not very clear on the topography of Tirupati. Does one have to walk up a hill to visit the temple. How does that work?

aparajita1
SMT Team
Reactions:

Post by aparajita1 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:04 pm

Yay! You are putting in a good word with the goddess.. Please push forward our requests too :)

You dont have to walk, you can drive up the Tirumala hill. Drive carefully as there are speed limits and you will be driving along many many AP state transport buses. The ghats are open from 3 AM to 11 PM, I think. You can check the Tirumala website. There is car parking available at a place called ATC Car Parking, near the special Darshan entrance. I believe the same is mentioned on your ticket.

You can walk too, especially if someone has motion sickness. The ghat roads are quite winding and I had made my cousin fall asleep before the climb began. That way she did not puke!! If you wanna walk, you can park your car at the bottom of the hill where the ghat starts.

Road Trips are truly hassle free when you go #AageSeRight :) :)
Curated Road Trips | DIY Road Trips | Travel Blog | Community | Sign Up

traveldiaries
Scout
Reactions:

Post by traveldiaries » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:10 pm

There are two paths to walk
One is the regular route which takes around 3.5 - 4 hours... And the other using srivaari Metlu takes 2 hours and is around 2700 steps to climb
You can drive to ATC Parking. Ook a cottage on tirumala hills and drive the car on the hill minimizing the walk bit..
You should ensure you take 45 mins to reach between points else you would be fined

Cheers,

arjun
SMT Team
Reactions:

Post by arjun » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:50 pm

Hey there @royalenfielder,

There are 2 options. You need to decide whether you want to walk up to the temple or go by road. Many people take a vow that they'll climb the hill to visit the temple. This is totally upto you. You can go in the Self Drive and get the Special darshan ticket like @traveldiaries mentioned. I'd suggest going on a weekday. Weekend might take longer time for the darshan.

Here's my experience going to Tirupati

I went from Bangalore and had booked the KSTDC package. This was very convenient. They take care of everything. You get on the bus reach the foothills of Tirupati around 4 in the morning. They have a tie up with a hotel where you can freshen up.
Like @aparajita1 said they take you to Padmavati temple after which you have breakfast. We took the Rs 25 ticket but later realized that others had done the same and the free line was empty :( Later they take you to the temple uphill. There you visit other temples and wait around till you are in the temple premises. We had to wait a couple of hours before entering the temple gates. But once entered we finished our darshan and were out in 1 hour. This was really an awesome experience :D as i had heard you have to wait around 2 to 3 hours in line for the darshan.
After the darshan you regroup where the bus had dropped you and then start your return journey. Please note you will have to change the bus from private to the government bus that will take you up to the temple and back down which is also arranged by them.

This was by KSTDC from Bangalore I'm assuming the other services also do something similar. Going to Tirupati like this is very very convenient if you do not have other things planned in the same trip.

PS: The time you are planning to go is when the board exams are around the corner so weekends might be crowded. Just a thought.

royalenfielder
SMT Team
Reactions:

Post by royalenfielder » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:05 pm

Thanks for all the help on this guys!

The trip was a super one, and it went pretty well thanks to the plan from you guys. We landed in Chennai and had a seamless transfer into the self drive which was waiting for us. We had a few hiccups because of document verification but it went smoothly after that.

Once we got into the car, we sped off to Tirupati and checked into Hotel Bliss. This hotel was marked as a four star on MakeMyTrip but is actually a 3 star but the value for money was great. The rooms were spacious and very well done. Food was great here too. The decor of the restaurant could be better though.

We left from the hotel at 3PM and started for Tirumala. A huge checkpost and toll awaited us but it was a fast process and we were on the ghats. One thing I would like to add here - a majority of drivers do not know how to drive in ghats. It was a pain to see vehicles ahead not able to stick to their lanes on the ghats. Could not even over take them. Sheesh!

We got into the Special Darshan queue and we finished our darshan by 530PM. It took us an hour only. The line for laddoos was longer! We came back to Tirupati after the darshan and collecting laddoos.
IMG_20180224_123339.jpg