My New Year Ride

Share your travel stories, stunning pictures and amazing videos.
royalenfielder
SMT Team
Reactions:

My New Year Ride

Post by royalenfielder » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:29 am

To begin with, our new year ride was pretty epic! Had been longing to do a circuit (that's a long joke in the SMT family!) which I finally got to do. I updated the road conditions on one part of the circuit in the thread here. Do follow for that.

Our new year ride plan was as below:

Day 1.
Thane - Pune. Swati's parents live in Pune so there was a halt for us to enjoy some home cooked food and parental affection for two whole days! This stretch was on bike, and minus the one rear tyre puncture, it was very uneventful. There were five punctures and the fellow I got it fixed from didn't have a tube. So had to spend as much as the cost of a new tube on getting rid of the punctures ! Anyway, we got it done and left after a delay of 2 hours.

Our breakfast halt was at Mahad - Shri Varad Vinayak temple for darshan. This is one of the 8 Ashtavinayak Temples, and one I was told to go to by my aunt, someone I revere and look up to for her prayers and well wishes. We quickly completed the darshanand left from here and were home by 3PM. Thanks to the puncture, it took us 6 hours for this leg. Usually takes around 3.5 hours with a breakfast halt. There was traffic through the entire of the Mumbai-Pune Old highway. Crazy

Read this post by me about the Ashtavinayak Route on bike

Day 2. Pune - Siddhatek - Pune
We took Swati's uncle's car and were off to another temple , part of the Ashtavinayak circuit. Wading through Pune traffic for two hours and another hour and half into the state highway. the roads were bad. Really bad. After the darshan, we had the customary lunch at the farmer shacks that dot the exit of the temple. Needless to say, it was enjoyed by everyone and especially my in laws. Loved it!
Food at Siddatek2.jpg
Food at Siddatek2.jpg (164.32 KiB) Viewed 4453 times
Food at Siddatek1.jpg
Food at Siddatek1.jpg (143.46 KiB) Viewed 4453 times
Day 3: Pune to Vita
With Family in Pune.jpg
With Family in Pune.jpg (152.67 KiB) Viewed 4453 times
We met a friend on the route to Vita. Meet Cheeky Cheeku
Pup.jpg
Pup.jpg (115.86 KiB) Viewed 4453 times
Swati with Pup.jpg
Swati with Pup.jpg (202.49 KiB) Viewed 4453 times
Me with Pup.jpg
Me with Pup.jpg (246.55 KiB) Viewed 4453 times
Vita was a pre-planned halt with an old friend and well wisher of ScoutMyTrip who has started farming leaving the city life for good. Dilip Sawant aka Kaka as he is fondly known, opened up his humble farm stay to me and Swati for one night. Incidentally, this farm stay is also going to be up on SMT exclusively for anyone to book and spend a couple of nights in the Mahrashtrian outbacks and country side. Set right in the middle of sugarcane farms, the pleasant breeze, clean air and home cooked meals made the traditional way with jawar bhakhris. This is truly an experience you shouldnt miss!

Here are some pics from the farm stay:
With Kaka .jpg
With Kaka .jpg (67.79 KiB) Viewed 4453 times
Swati from House.jpg
Swati from House.jpg (45.89 KiB) Viewed 4453 times
Sugarcane Harvest.jpg
Sugarcane Harvest.jpg (226.4 KiB) Viewed 4453 times
Sugar cane harvest 3.jpg
Sugar cane harvest 3.jpg (190.48 KiB) Viewed 4453 times
Sugar Cane Harvest 2.jpg
Sugar Cane Harvest 2.jpg (173.96 KiB) Viewed 4453 times
Outside Farmstay.jpg
Outside Farmstay.jpg (158.58 KiB) Viewed 4453 times
Kaka outside his farm stay.jpg
Kaka outside his farm stay.jpg (144.56 KiB) Viewed 4453 times
Inside Farm Stay.jpg
Inside Farm Stay.jpg (66.86 KiB) Viewed 4453 times
Day 4: Vita to Bhimashankar

We made a quick stop to an organic farm run by an old friend of Kaka's. What an eye opener! This was also when I realized the lifetime value of a cow. The entire organic farm was run in an organic manner with cow dung and urine. This was used not just for the soil but also to keep pests away. Talk about going back to the roots.
Organic Farm 3.jpg
Organic Farm 3.jpg (300.84 KiB) Viewed 4453 times
Organic Farm 2.jpg
Organic Farm 2.jpg (192.43 KiB) Viewed 4453 times
Organic Farm 1.jpg
Organic Farm 1.jpg (256.99 KiB) Viewed 4453 times
This was an unknown stretch for most part and we wanted to go on this route for that very reason. I gave an update on the road conditions for the Vita to Bhimashankar route. Do check that, here are some pics from the ride on this stretch.

We reached Bhimashankar late night at around 830PM. Only to be greeted with the very untrained and clueless staff of the Neelam Hill Resort. We had made prior bookings and also paid in full. Our name was not on the booking roster and to top it off, the room which should have been ours was already given to someone else. This was the last thing you needed, especially after a long ride, late into the night - on new years' eve! But thankfully, after an hour they got the folk who had taken our room to vacate and we moved in.

I maintain that tourist lodges/motels/resorts/getaways etc near Mumbai or Pune are places where patrons are fleeced. I also maintain that hotels in religious places do the same. Well, Bhimashankar was near to Mumbai and religious. So double the fleecing. Not being able to shake the feeling of being cheated for having paid so much for so little, we slept early calling it a day. We had to visit the temple the next morning. The staff at the hotel told us that the rush was insane and people were actually turning back because it was unmanageable. I told Swati that things work out for themselves and we should go none the less. It would be OK. We slept cuddled in a blanket meant for a kid we presumed. It was chilly!

Day 5: Bhimashankar Temple - Thane
We left from Neelam Hill Resort at 815 (without checking out) and headed to the temple before the Pune crowd came in. We were amazed, because we had beaten the crowds and it was a Monday - an auspicious day for worship of Lord Shiva. Our darshan took around 30 mins and we had the most peaceful time in the temple. We could see hordes of devotees queue up after us. Thanking God, and our stars for this darshan, which was again willed by my Aunt, we left from the temple. It was a new year and we had great aspirations and hopes. It was the year we were to do well in all we do. It was for all of us.
Me on Bike.jpg
Me on Bike.jpg (126.01 KiB) Viewed 4453 times
The ride was back was the usual route. We headed back towards Manchar and took the turn to Junnar and then hit the NH66 which soon became NH222 and the famous Malshej Ghats. The roads were good for most measure but for the Manchar stretch to around 50 kms ahead. Once we hit the ghats, it was the home stretch. We'd done these too many times; and it never bored us.

After crossing Murbad, the Kalyan city two wheelers and 'chappal riders' were deftly out maneuvered by yours truly :). We hit Kalyan at the right time - around 3PM so the roads were manageable, and the cops were trying their best to manage the sparse traffic which was still a handful.

We were home at 430PM having started from Bhimashankar at 1145AM. Good time, but we didn't want to do any sight seeing along the way. The Shivneri fort which comes on this route, along with two Ashtavinayak temples - Ozhar and Lenyadri also were skipped. We had to get back home, stretch our legs and pour ourselves a drink and make a good meal!

This was a good new year ride, one we'll both remember. The last new year ride we had done was in 2013-2014. Had been a while!

Wishing the entire SMT family and the community a very happy new year! Do share your new year stories with us!

Go #AageSeRight :)
Me on bridge.jpg
Me on bridge.jpg (138.53 KiB) Viewed 4453 times
Attachments
Swati by the lake.jpg
Swati by the lake.jpg (950.9 KiB) Viewed 4453 times
Pucture shop in Masur.jpg
Pucture shop in Masur.jpg (176.89 KiB) Viewed 4453 times
On the Bhimashankar ghats.jpg
On the Bhimashankar ghats.jpg (126.89 KiB) Viewed 4453 times
Crossing Goats.jpg
Crossing Goats.jpg (134.46 KiB) Viewed 4453 times
Bike in Village.jpg
Bike in Village.jpg (123.73 KiB) Viewed 4453 times

yayawar
SMT Team
Reactions:

Re: My New Year Ride

Post by yayawar » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:36 pm

royalenfielder wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:29 am
... the Kalyan city two wheelers and 'chappal riders' were deftly out maneuvered by yours truly :).
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: @vishnu17 , you got some company man!

Nice read and nice pics @royalenfielder The place looks good, only for the concrete structure, but guess with everyone looking for comfort now-a-days, that's a necessary evil.

Happy New Year to you too! :)

vishnu17
SMT Team
Reactions:

Post by vishnu17 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:51 pm

yayawar wrote:
royalenfielder wrote:
... the Kalyan city two wheelers and 'chappal riders' were deftly out maneuvered by yours truly :).
Image Image Image Image [mention]vishnu17[/mention] , you got some company man!

Nice read and nice pics [mention]royalenfielder[/mention] The place looks good, only for the concrete structure, but guess with everyone looking for comfort now-a-days, that's a necessary evil.

Yeah I know Image have you ever been to Bhimashankar?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

vishnu17
SMT Team
Reactions:

Post by vishnu17 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:04 pm

@royalenfielder The last picture "Bike in Village" is that Murbad ?

yayawar
SMT Team
Reactions:

Post by yayawar » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:09 pm

vishnu17 wrote:have you ever been to Bhimashankar?
No man! I hope to start exploring Maharashtra and the western Ghats starting this monsoon.

Posted from my mobile using Tapatalk (https://www.tapatalk.com/forum/2019174)

royalenfielder
SMT Team
Reactions:

Post by royalenfielder » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:23 pm

vishnu17 wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:04 pm
That is near Vita. Far away from Murbad!

royalenfielder
SMT Team
Reactions:

Post by royalenfielder » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:24 pm

yayawar wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:36 pm
royalenfielder wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: @vishnu17 , you got some company man!

Nice read and nice pics @royalenfielder The place looks good, only for the concrete structure, but guess with everyone looking for comfort now-a-days, that's a necessary evil.

And why not a concrete structure? Why are farmers expected to stay in thatched huts? The other farmers we met spoke fluent english and practised some of the latest techniques in farming and organic methods.

vishnu17
SMT Team
Reactions:

Post by vishnu17 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:30 pm

royalenfielder wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:23 pm
vishnu17 wrote:
Ohh looks very serene ! I remember seeing something similar on the outskirts of Murbad last time I was there

royalenfielder
SMT Team
Reactions:

Post by royalenfielder » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:31 pm

vishnu17 wrote:
royalenfielder wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:23 pm
vishnu17 wrote:
Ohh looks very serene ! I remember seeing something similar on the outskirts of Murbad last time I was there
I don't blame you. Scenic places out side Mumbai for sure

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

yayawar
SMT Team
Reactions:

Post by yayawar » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:53 pm

royalenfielder wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:24 pm
And why not a concrete structure? Why are farmers expected to stay in thatched huts? The other farmers we met spoke fluent english and practised some of the latest techniques in farming and organic methods.
Not that I'm against the 'progress' of farmers. However, my strong belief is that the native styles of architecture - which is different in every region of India - was developed as per the environmental needs of that place.. like wooden houses in the hills were built because they'd be more earthquake resistant and even if they fall, they do less damage than the now-a-days concrete structures. In my village in Bihar, the architecture is based on baked bricks, limestone and local sand and I've seen houses dating 100s of years.

To me, any structure that is out of the place is a sore to eyes. But that's my personal opinion and so I put it.