What is the best time to visit Leh and Ladakh and how?
First things first.. Ladakh is not a particular place, rather it is a valley and Leh is a city in Ladakh valley.
The best time to visit Ladakh? That’s a tough question to answer - from the perspective of someone who has been there multiple times. Still, I’ll try to answer.
- If you want to do a road trip (either Srinagar-Leh-Manali or Manali-Leh-Manali):
- If you want to see loads of snow - Late May to Late June is the answer
- If you want clear roads with less challenges - August is the answer
- If you want to see varied colours of Ladakh - Mid to Late September is the answer.
- If you want to see White Ladakh, you’ll have to fly-in and out:
- If you want to do a Chadar Trek - Late Jan/Feb is the answer
- Else go in between Dec-May
Similarly, I’d advise to avoid October for a road trip as it may snow any time and the passes may get closed.
Hope I’ve answered your query in detail, if still there is any further confusion, you may always get expert help at the Road Tripping Community in planning your trip.