Attraction Between Aurangabad To Ajanta

Found something on your trip that you want others to experience too? Bring it on here!
prakash.takate
Scout
Reactions:

Attraction Between Aurangabad To Ajanta

Post by prakash.takate » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:43 pm

Ghatotkacha Caves:-
The Ghatotkacha caves are located 18 km to west of the World Heritage Site Ajanta Caves, near Jinjala village, Aurangabad. The famous Ajanta & Ellora Caves have overshadowed the presence of the nearby Ghatotkacha caves. The Ghatotkacha caves are carved inside the deep Indhyadri range of Western Ghats.The caves were excavated in the 6th century AD, and were influenced by Mahayana Buddhism. The Ghatotkacha cave has an 22 line inscription in the porch which makes it clear that the viharas here were made at the time of Varahadeva, the prime minister of King Harisena of the Western Vakataka Dynasty. There are 12 carved cells in the both side of the hall with the statue of Buddha seated in Dharmachakrapravartana Mudra in the main shrine. The Ghatotkacha caves are actually isolated viharas similar to the vihara no. 6 & 16 at the Ajanta

P.S:-The Maharashtra Tourism Development Corporation Ltd (MTDC) advises that the caves are only for the adventurous traveller as access is difficult.
Attachments
ghat.jpg
ghat.jpg (894.1 KiB) Viewed 312 times

dpakananth
SMT Team
Reactions:

Re: Attraction Between Aurangabad To Ajanta

Post by dpakananth » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:10 pm

prakash.takate wrote:Ghatotkacha Caves:-
The Ghatotkacha caves are located 18 km to west of the World Heritage Site Ajanta Caves, near Jinjala village, Aurangabad. The famous Ajanta & Ellora Caves have overshadowed the presence of the nearby Ghatotkacha caves. The Ghatotkacha caves are carved inside the deep Indhyadri range of Western Ghats.The caves were excavated in the 6th century AD, and were influenced by Mahayana Buddhism. The Ghatotkacha cave has an 22 line inscription in the porch which makes it clear that the viharas here were made at the time of Varahadeva, the prime minister of King Harisena of the Western Vakataka Dynasty. There are 12 carved cells in the both side of the hall with the statue of Buddha seated in Dharmachakrapravartana Mudra in the main shrine. The Ghatotkacha caves are actually isolated viharas similar to the vihara no. 6 & 16 at the Ajanta

P.S:-The Maharashtra Tourism Development Corporation Ltd (MTDC) advises that the caves are only for the adventurous traveller as access is difficult.
Oh yes. This is actually so much more beautiful than other more touristy places. The trek is moderate to slightly heavy but the views are worth it! Thanks prakash for reminding me about this !!

www.ScoutMyTrip.com . Sent from my Samsung note8 using Tapatalk

royalenfielder
SMT Team
Reactions:

Post by royalenfielder » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:31 am

Thanks for adding into the databank of points of interests and attractions along Indian roads! I wish I knew about this place when my wife and I did the Aurangabad trip last year. We sadly had to skip Ellora too because of time.

@prakash.takate bro, can you let me know how I can do these caves along with Ellora? How many days should I keep for it? Between now and March should be a decent time to do this I guess. Or monsoons?

vishnu17
SMT Team
Reactions:

Post by vishnu17 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:46 pm

Wow, never heard of this one before, thanks for the information @prakash.takate, and if you have more pictures of this place please do add, would love to see more.

yayawar
SMT Team
Reactions:

Post by yayawar » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:54 pm

Adventurous traveler? It immediately goes into my bucket list! :)

prakash.takate
Scout
Reactions:

Post by prakash.takate » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:40 pm

royalenfielder wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:31 am
Thanks for adding into the databank of points of interests and attractions along Indian roads! I wish I knew about this place when my wife and I did the Aurangabad trip last year. We sadly had to skip Ellora too because of time.

@prakash.takate bro, can you let me know how I can do these caves along with Ellora? How many days should I keep for it? Between now and March should be a decent time to do this I guess. Or monsoons?
Best time to visit this place is from oct to feb ...in monsoon access is difficult . you have to reserve 1 day to see these caves ,you can visit nearby vetalwadi fort (beautiful fort) along with these caves
Attachments
vetalwadi.jpg
vetalwadi.jpg (98.38 KiB) Viewed 276 times

pro_roadtrip
Scout
Reactions:

Post by pro_roadtrip » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:38 pm

Ghatotkatch caves ..wow never heard of this I will surely check it out in my next trip to Aurangabad

ravi.thakur
Reactions:

Post by ravi.thakur » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:50 pm

Cool. Thanks for the information. Will try and make it there on my next trip to the Ajanta and Ellora caves.